The Northwestern Society for the Theory of Ethics and Politics (NUSTEP) hosts an annual spring conference in moral and political philosophy. We are proud that the conference has an established reputation as a constructive and collegial event addressing some of the most difficult and important questions of moral and political philosophy. The three-day conference features two invited keynote addresses and submitted papers by both faculty and graduate students as well as ample time for informal discussion. The 2024 conference will take place from May 30 to June 1, 2024 at Northwestern University in Evanston.
2024 Keynote Addresses:
Julie Tannenbaum (Pomona College)
Sergio Tenenbaum (University of Toronto)
We welcome submissions from faculty and graduate students, as some sessions will be reserved for student presentations. Please submit an essay of approximately 4,000 words. Essay topics in all areas of ethical theory and political philosophy will be considered, although some priority will be given to essays that take up themes from the work of the keynote speakers, Julie Tannenbaum and Sergio Tenenbaum, including action, practical reason, emotion, the concept of the good and categories of goods, moral responsibility, moral status, and Kant’s practical philosophy. Essays should be prepared for blind review in word, rtf, or pdf format. Graduate submissions should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org; faculty submissions should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com.
The deadline for submissions is February 16, 2024. Notices of acceptance will be sent by April 1, 2024.
For more information, please contact Kyla Ebels-Duggan: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2023 Michele Moody-Adams, Arthur Ripstein
- 2022 Cora Diamond, Gavin Lawrence
- 2019 Peter Railton, Sarah Stroud
- 2018 Niko Kolodny, Sharon Street
- 2017 Marcia Baron, Kieran Setiya
- 2016 Nomy Arpaly, Pamela Hieronymi
- 2015 Frances Kamm, Joseph Raz
- 2014 Tamar Schapiro, Gary Watson
- 2013 Talbot Brewer, Sarah Buss
- 2012 Harry Frankfurt, T.M. Scanlon
- 2011 Philip Pettit, R. Jay Wallace
- 2010 Elizabeth Anderson, Christine Korsgaard
- 2009 Samuel Scheffler, Seana Shiffrin
- 2008 Susan Wolf, J. David Velleman
- 2007 Barbara Herman, Stephen Darwall