Graduate Student Exchange Program with the University of Edinburgh Philosophy Department
The philosophy departments at Northwestern University and the University of Edinburgh have a graduate student exchange program, allowing students from each department to visit the other department for as short as a term and as long as a year. The program is open to any Ph.D. student at Northwestern's Philosophy Department. In terms of LEMMing (Language, Epistemology, Metaphysics and Mind) offerings, Edinburgh has exceptional strengths in epistemology, the philosophy of mind, and the philosophy of cognitive science.
- It is your responsibility, not the department’s, to find an interval of time when you have no teaching responsibilities. You might try to arrange to have an open term (in a year in which you otherwise do have teaching responsibilities), or else you might wait until you have a year without teaching responsibilities.
- NO FIRST- OR SECOND-YEAR STUDENT WILL BE GRANTED PERMISSION TO GO ABROAD SAVE IN EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES.
- Edinburgh is an expensive city; it will probably cost you more money to live there than it would cost you to live here for the same amount of time. You should plan for this.
- You should consider applying to the Graduate School for money to support your airfare; additional departmental funds may be available to help defray this cost.
- It is your responsibility to find housing while there. You may want to contact the Departmental Administrators at Edinburgh’s Philosophy Department, or Edinburgh students who have visited here, to get some assistance regarding where to look.
Criteria for selection include
- how clear an motivation there is for the student’s proposed time in Edinburgh (including faculty there with whom they might work)
- how well-conceived is the research plan for study abroad
- seniority in our program (# of years in the program and/or closeness to finishing the dissertation)
(Formulated by S. Goldberg, September 14, 2008)
For more information, contact Sandy Goldberg.Back to top