The Northwestern Society for the Theory of Ethics and Politics (NUSTEP) hosts an annual spring conference in moral and political philosophy. We are proud that the conference has an established reputation as a constructive and collegial event addressing some of the most difficult and important questions of moral and political philosophy. The three-day conference features two invited keynote addresses and submitted papers by both faculty and graduate students as well as ample time for informal discussion. This year the conference will be take place on May 28 - 30, 2020 at Northwestern University in Evanston.
We welcome submissions from faculty and graduate students, as some sessions will be reserved for student presentations. Please submit an essay of approximately 4000 words. Essay topics in all areas of ethical theory and political philosophy will be considered, although some priority will be given to essays that take up themes from the work of Cora Diamond and Gavin Lawrence: animals and ethics, Anscombe, Aristotle, literature and ethics, metaethics, methodology in ethics, moral concepts, moral psychology, Iris Murdoch, value, virtue ethics, weakness of will, well-being, David Wiggins, and Wittgensteinian approaches to ethics. Essays should be prepared for blind review in Word, RTF, or PDF format.
Graduate submissions should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com and should include 2-4 keywords.
Faculty submissions should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for submissions is January 15, 2020. Notices of acceptance will be sent by March 15, 2020.
For more information, please contact Kyla Ebels-Duggan at the e-mail address above.
2020 Keynote Addresses:
Cora Diamond (University of Virginia)
Gavin Lawrence (UCLA)
2020 Conference Information:
- An Itinerary of Events for this year's conference will be posted in the coming weeks.
- Hotel Information: A room block has been reserved at the Hilton Orrington Hotel in Evanston for the nights of May 27 – May 31, 2020. Reservations can be made through this block until Wednesday, April 29, 2020. Rates are $158/night for a single bedroom. Reservations can be made by calling 1-800-HILTONS (1-800-445-8667). Notify yourself as being with the NUSTEP Conference to receive the group rate when you call. (To confirm your reservation, the hotel requires a guarantee of the first night's room rate and tax, which may be provided by credit card. Reservations canceled 48 hours prior to arrival will be charged for 1 night's room and tax.)
- Transportation to NU Campus
- Lunch and Dinner Options in Evanston
- Local Tourist Attractions
The conference is free and open to the public.
Please forward any inquiries to Kyla Ebels-Duggan.
- 2019 Peter Railton, Sarah Stroud
- 2018 Niko Kolodny, Sharon Street
- 2017 Marcia Baron, Kieran Setiya
- 2016 Nomy Arpaly, Pamela Hieronymi
- 2015 Frances Kamm, Joseph Raz
- 2014 Tamar Schapiro, Gary Watson
- 2013 Talbot Brewer, Sarah Buss
- 2012 Harry Frankfurt, T.M. Scanlon
- 2011 Philip Pettit, R. Jay Wallace
- 2010 Elizabeth Anderson, Christine Korsgaard
- 2009 Samuel Scheffler, Seana Shiffrin
- 2008 Susan Wolf, J. David Velleman
- 2007 Barbara Herman, Stephen Darwall